Thursday, June 18, 2009

Father Leo's E-Mail Blast for 06/18/09

Gregory Mussmacher, visit Father Leo's webpage at htp://www.gracebeforemeals.com



Uplifting Throwdown with Bobby Flay!

How can a “throwdown” be at the same time “uplifting”? During last week’s Food Network shoot, I was surprised to learn I was actually competing in a food-for-food, recipe-for-recipe, grill-for-grill competition in an episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay. On the menu? Fajitas—one of Bobby’s specialties. Ugh! And yet the challenge of going up against the critically acclaimed Chef Flay completely uplifted me.



First, I was nervous enough being in front of the camera. Who knows what they will edit out, or worse, leave in the footage? I thought I was simply filming a cooking Q and A with families, but then, as I was explaining the dry ingredients in the marinade, Bobby Flay stands off to the side, slightly out of my view.



At one point I heard rustling and the sound of excitement from the crowd. But, I just thought the crowd was reacting to some of my “special ingredients.” I was so focused on speaking to the camera that it took a few moments, as well as the producer pointing in Bobby’s direction, for me to turn and see him standing right there.

Bobby Flay, standing right in front of me! Huh?

Then it hits me. Oh my Good God in Heaven, he’s going to challenge me to a Throwdown!



Me on set filming with Food Network. Unfortunately, I can’t post the pictures from the Food Network taping until after the show airs in a couple weeks.

I can’t remember exactly how he proposed the Throwdown. It was too surreal! I just knew I couldn’t turn down that opportunity. Although I was tired from the previous day’s shoot and very intimidated by a super chef, something kicked in: “grace” before the meal. I accepted! And, I’m so glad I did.

Challenges will definitely come our way. Challenges will surprise us. Do we back down out of fear? Or do we move forward, albeit cautiously and prayerfully, and therefore confident in God’s help? Do we see in each challenge a real opportunity to grow stronger and to be better?



Last year’s Rector’s Cup Soccer Champs – Team Mount St. Mary’s took on the challenge of four other seminaries for the championship!

Part of me wonders what exactly would have happened if I said, “no thank you” to Bobby’s invitation? After all, he’s an Iron Chef, and I’m a priest who likes to cook. While my cooking has won over hearts and minds, and has perhaps turned a few people into believers, I have never won any culinary awards. My recipes have no notoriety and I have no real stature in the culinary world! Who am I that a great chef would come to me?



Me with some seminarians, taste testing Salmon Florentine.

However, I did have a very special ingredient: faith! That helped me remember that with God, all things are possible!
Faith also helped me remember one of the first “throwdown” challenges in Biblical History. It was when God sent His Son down into our world to an unknown virgin. She accepted this challenge, and I’m so glad she did!



Annunciation of Angel Gabriel to Mary – talk about a challenging situation!

Talk about a real struggle and challenge to bring life into this world. But the challenge wasn’t to upset world order or degrade our humanity. Instead, every real challenge is supposed to lift us up. The “challenge” is to live better lives; to bring out the best in us; to bring us to His level.
In human analogy, that’s what Iron Chef Bobby Flay did for me. His years of epicurean study, training, practice and experience meant that I was no match for him. But, he challenged me nonetheless, despite my unworthiness in the culinary arts. In fact, when Food Network called me a while ago, I honestly told them that I’m not “good enough” for them.

It’s the same, but elevated to the highest level, when we stand before God. No one is worthy to stand before the Eucharist! When Bobby Flay came to me to challenge me, he made me work harder in my cooking skills. His presence encouraged me to put my best foot forward. God is the same way, but to the ultimate degree. He challenges us to become saints—people who will feed the poor, care for the sick, forgive those who hurt us, and console the empty spirit of godlessness in this starving world!

That’s what people of greatness do. They elevate and uplift, rather than “put down.” That was definitely my experience of this Throwdown Challenge with a great chef, and seemingly, a great person!



Msgr. Nalty, a great friend of mine from the North American College and my assistant grill master for the day, offering a few reminders and pointers, like “fix your collar”!.

My experience with Chef Flay will be with me for a while. I’m still processing this great experience, so you may hear even more about this in future Blasts, especially as the network premieres the episode. Sorry for repeating myself. But, I learned so much from that challenge, and it encouraged me to keep doing what I do in my ministry: to feed people, body, mind and soul. This truly was one of the most uplifting Throwdown “challenges” I’ve ever had.



Grilling Goodness

Who won the Steak Fajita Throwdown Competition? Good question! The network has asked that no one reveal the winner just yet. Hopefully the challenge to keep the winner a secret will entice even more viewers to watch the show that will air some time in late summer. And I don’t want to jeopardize the chance of the show not airing because of bad press. So, if you were part of the crowd – Shhh!!!!



Fr. Leo, Msgr. Nalty, and some seminarians who helped serve the steak fajitas.

Don’t worry. I’ll definitely let you know the exact dates, especially since we may be hosting a screening party somewhere in the Baltimore area. Should be lots of fun, so stay tuned.
The challenge with Chef Flay reminded me of another fun grilling recipe we featured last year when we offered tailgating recipes. In these webisodes we talked about competition and how it’s supposed to bring the best out in competitors—not the worst. I would have loved for Chef Flay to try my mini Asians burgers. I think he would have loved them! They have been a big hit with viewers. I’d love to offer this to you all again, just to put you in the grilling and appropriately competitive spirit.

Click here for the recipe.

Click here to see the video.



Spiritual Competition

This week, I’ll be giving conferences in Steubenville, Oh for the Priest, Deacon and Seminarian Conference. Then next week, I’ll give some talks for a youth conference.




June 12, 2008 – Steubenville Priest, Deacon and Seminarian participants.

Whenever I go to these conferences, I find myself challenged by the holiness and goodness of the participants. Their great, yet humble example helps me see that we are all in need of “spiritual competition” in order to make ourselves spiritually stronger and personally better. Perhaps we ought to consider the people who build us up and why? How can we improve our relationship with people who, in their greatness, may tear us down? And how can we help build up the spirits of others.

Let us Pray: Father in Heaven, You came down to us in order to challenge our sinful ways, to show us Your greatness and to invite us to the same glory. We ask Your goodness on all of those who we consider mentors. We ask Your grace so that we can become people who challenge others by helping to bring out the best in the other. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.



Rome, 2008. Msgr. Nalty and the Watkins Family at Scarpone’s Restaurant. Tim Watkins (top left) is the producer for Grace Before Meals, and his family, as well as Msgr. Nalty, have been great supporters of this important movement of the New Evangelization.

Ask Fr. Leo for fatherly advice.
Any submissions may be used in future Grace Before Meals publications.


Please forward Fr. Leo's weekly email blast to anyone you think would benefit. If you haven't
signed up for the Food for the Body, Food for the Soul weekly email blast, go here and register now.
Also please visit our blog. weekly to stay up to date with Grace Before Meals.Sphere: Related Content

No comments: