Thursday, June 11, 2009

Father Leo's E-Mail Blast 06-11-09

Gregory Mussmacher, "Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?" Fulton J. Sheen


www.gracebeformeals.com
The Original Food Network – A Family of Faith!

I’m writing this email blast a few days before you will receive it. While writing an early draft is normal for me, this Blast is a bit unique for me simply because I’m also writing this before the Food Network taping on Monday and Tuesday this week. As you can imagine, I’ll be a little busy.

As of my writing, I have no idea what they are actually going to tape. They say it will be used as part of an episode on one of their upcoming shows. Who knows? Many of you have written suggesting that it could even be a “Throw down” with Bobby Flay. But, at this point, I have no idea. I just know the Lord is my Shepherd and he would never lead me to such “danger” as to do food battle with an Iron Chef! Besides, I’m not a “master chef” nor do I have a particular specialty. But, they simply asked me to feature my “fusion fajita” recipe, which I’ll provide for you in a future Blast.



Some pictures of the Fajita that I’ll be making for Food Network

At this point, I can confirm they want me to film me celebrating Mass in our Chapel of the Immaculate Conception. That may possibly be a “first” for the Food Network!



Chapel of the Immaculate Conception Emmitsburg, MD

Another reason why I had to write this Email Blast well in advance is because I recently celebrated my 10th year anniversary to the priesthood. My family hosted an “intimate” gathering of 300 people for a reception after the Mass. It is a “tradition” in my family to be hospitable, although it was never my intention to host something so grand! For my family, especially my mother, when it comes to celebrations, we say, “if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing it BIG!”



Crowds poured into the hall of St. Rose of Lima for a feast!



Archbishop O’Brien graciously stopped by the reception and offered the Grace Before the Meal. We should have had the cameras rolling!

All of this attention makes me think, “what does this all mean?”



Recent Presentation at Holy Family Catholic Church in Middletown, MD

In other words, with the crowds for my first Mass or the crowds gathered for the Food Network taping, one can be tempted to think all of this attention is about “me”. But, I’ve been a priest long enough to know that it is not for the priest that the people come to Mass. They come for Jesus who feeds our hungry souls! We all know the reason for the attention is because people want to be part of the Church – the original “network” for food lovers!

One of my favorite things about the Food Network (i.e., the television network), is their strong identity as a “family”. They work very hard to ensure the programs are all family friendly. Honestly, it’s one of the few networks that I regularly watch because of that. They do such a fine job with their production that just watching the celebrity chefs makes you feel like you are a part of their family. How do they do it? Through their positive personalities and their creative use of food.

Doesn’t this sound a little like Jesus as he fed the 5,000? Jesus drew so many to Himself, not because he was full of vainglory, but because he wanted to point to the Father’s love. That’s the reason why this invitation to do an episode on the food network is such an honor. It’s a small way I can point to God who feeds His hungry flock through the Church – a true “food network” called “Holy Communion.”



Incensing the gifts of Bread and Wine before the Consecration at by 10th year anniversary Mass

That sense of family – a network of people who truly love one another – is what makes the Church an “original” food network. We are brothers and sisters, one family, because of the food we eat.

Last year’s celebration of World Youth Day is a perfect example of how the many nations came together around the common table of God’s family! I would love for people from around the world to share in our growing mission. So, if you know people in other countries, be sure to send a link and encourage them to sign up for the free weekly blasts!



Some of the crowds gathered at World Youth Day 2008 in Sydney, Australia.

This week’s blast offers all of the subscribers a very basic message of encouragement: get involved in your parish, church group, or congregation! Be a part of a family of believers! I know that a good number of people who subscribe to this website aren’t even connected to any parish or to any ‘organized religion.’ My humble suggestion is to try and make connections, develop a network of faith, and don’t ever think that you do not have a place in a spiritual home or in a spiritual family. You do. It’s called the Church! And in this family of faith, we want you to be part of this food network of stars, which we call saints!

.

Parish Church in San Francisco with statues of saints at the pillars, a sign that saints truly uphold the church’s family of faith!



Pollo Enchilado (i.e., to add chile)

My busy traveling schedule doesn’t allow me to be as connected to a local parish as much as I’d like. I admit, I do miss the regular parish family experience. However, whenever I travel for work, I sense a real family in the Catholic Faith because of the consistency of our liturgy, the knowledge of the prayers we say together, as well as the brotherhood of the priesthood.



Left to Right: Archbishop O’Brien – Archbishop of Baltimore, Fr. Jim Sorra – Associate Pastor of St. Louis Parish, Fr. Joe O’Meara – Pastor of St. Rose, Fr. Leo, Fr. Adam Parker – secretary to Archbishop O’Brien and classmate from the North American College

A few months ago, I was in North Carolina giving a parish mission to St. Stephen Parish in the Diocese of Raleigh, North Carolina. Although I had never been to that parish before, I felt very much at home. Since there was a large Latino Community in this parish, I even celebrated the Mass in the Spanish Language. Thank God I had a translator who assisted me with my homily. While I have some proficient knowledge to celebrate Mass in the Spanish language, whenever I try to speak it conversationally, it always comes out Italian!



a few of the parishioners holding a meeting and rehearsal for the Stations of the Cross

After that Spanish Language Mass, we all spoke the universal language of good food! The community hosted a luncheon for the entire parish. It was great to see such an active parish grow closer together through Food. I know that many parishes offer chicken dinners. Perhaps you may want to get involved in your community and try this recipe for a future event.



some of the volunteers preparing individual lunches for the crowds

Click here for the recipe.



The marinade for the chicken



Baked chicken enchilado with a macaroni salad, and a wonderfully spicy cilantro sauce



A Prayer for Networkers

Since this Grace Before Meals movement began some six years ago, I’ve realized the importance of networking – for all the right reasons. My love for food has led to common interests with many people from all walks of life. After meeting so many different people, I try to remember them in prayer each day. I wonder if we take our network of prayer seriously? We should. We are connected to each other in a spiritual way. After all, as God’s children, we are all brothers and sisters in the Lord. Consider all of the people you meet in one day, say a prayer for them, and you’ll be surprised by what that connection and a network of food, faith, and family can do for you.




My network of “foodies” – my family!!

Let us pray:

Father, we are all connected with each other. For that reason, we have to even pray for our enemies, because we are connected to them. I pray that we can purify our relationships, and see each other not just as business networks, (i.e., what they can do for me), but hopefully as people who are called to the same heavenly reward as you and me. Help me Dear Lord, to do what I can to give them a sense of being part of my family, and bless all of my associations with a deep knowledge of the Church’s love for them. We humbly ask this prayer in the name of our Savior and Lord! Amen

Ask Fr. Leo for fatherly advice.
Any submissions may be used in future Grace Before Meals publications.


Please forward Fr. Leo's weekly email blast to anyone you think would benefit. If you haven't
signed up for the Food for the Body, Food for the Soul weekly email blast, go here and register now.
Also please visit our blog. weekly to stay up to date with Grace Before Meals.Sphere: Related Content

No comments: